The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/19/2017 4:45 pm  #1

Beer for my . . . camels ? ? ?

A men only concert in Saudi Arabia for Trump and the guys.

What the heck is Melania going to do in her hijab while the boys are rockin' to Toby and puffin' on their hubbley bubblies?

Toby Keith to Perform at Men-Only Concert in Saudi Arabia During Trump’s Visit

by Daniella Silva and Associated PressMay 18 2017, 6:43 pm ET

American country music star Toby Keith, known for songs such as "Made in America" and "Whiskey Girl," is scheduled to perform at a men-only concert in Saudi Arabia — on the same weekend that President Donald Trump will be visiting the nation.

Keith, who played at Trump's pre-inaugural celebration, will be performing in the Saudi capital of Riyadh on Saturday, his publicist confirmed to NBC News.

Saudi entertainment website Lammt, which is marketing the event, said Saturday's concert would be free but open to men only. It will also feature an Arabian lute player.

Keith spokeswoman Elaine Schock said this would be the singer's first time in the Arab kingdom — but offered "no comment" on the male-only aspect of the show.

Lammt described the event as a musical night featuring the American singer and popular Saudi artist Rabeh Sager.

Saudi Arabia adheres to an conservative interpretation of Islamic law: Alcohol is banned and unrelated men and women are segregated in public, and women are not even allowed to drive cars.

But the kingdom has recently loosened the reins on entertainment, including allowing musical concerts that had been banned for the past two decades.

It was unclear if Keith would be performing some of his alcohol-inspired greatest hits, such as "Whiskey Girl," "Beer For My Horses" and "I Love This Bar."

Saudi Arabia's Middle East Broadcasting Center (MBC) arranged the trip, Schock said.

Saudi Arabia hopes to dazzle Trump with a line-up of summits and events this weekend.

The AP reported that in addition to the performance, Saudi Arabia had arranged for a packed schedule of events for Trump's two-day trip, which included inviting figures as varied as Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, who has been indicted for war crimes by the International Criminal Court, and Fox News host Bret Baier.

Trump is scheduled to travel to Saudi Arabia, Israel and the Vatican before attending attending the G7 and NATO summit in Taormina, Italy, and Brussels, respectively.

Keith was among the musicians who played at a Jan. 19 inaugural event for Trump a day before the president took the oath of office. Keith's participation came amid reports that Trump was having trouble attracting celebrities to the event.

The country singer defended his decision to play during the event amid some criticism, saying he had performed for previous presidents as well. He has not said who he voted for in the 2016 presidential election.

"I don't apologize for performing for our country or military," Keith said in a statement to Entertainment Weekly on Jan. 14. "I performed at events for previous presidents [George W.] Bush and [Barack] Obama and over 200 shows in Iraq and Afghanistan for the USO."

Having lived in Saudi Arabia on two different occasions, I can say that this concert will be a little unusual, but it won't be anything like Woodstock . . . maybe Sandstock, but I wasn't there.

5/19/2017 8:01 pm  #2

Re: Beer for my . . . camels ? ? ?

I can't wait to hear just how all of this works out !   

I am getting my "Red Solo Cup" prepared for the celebration ! 

Last edited by tennyson (5/19/2017 8:03 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/20/2017 6:45 am  #3

It will be an evening to remember.

I can picture it now: members of the Saudi royal family and Trump, Jared, Reince, with their entourages standing shoulder to shoulder, linking arms, swaying to the music, and singing along with Toby to I Love This Bar.

An opportunity to forget about the realities of the Mideast. Like our 16+ year war in Afghanistan, the hole in the ground that is Iraq, Iran's nuclear ambitions, Assad's tendency for dropping poison bombs on the people of Syria, the area is a training ground for various terrorist groups like ISIS, the Taliban, Al Qaida, all financed by some of those wealthy Saudi families (they know who I'm talking about), and that never ending "situation" between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

I'm sure the Toby Keith men only concert, along with a little "Saudi Champagne" (that's apple juice and club soda mixed together), or Siddiqui (that's the Saudi equivalent of moonshine. It can get you real drunk, real fast, blind you, or fuel your car in a pinch) mixed with tonic water, will make these world leaders forget about their problems and bond in unity.

C'mon . . . Sing along:
We got winners, we got losers,
Chain smokers and boozers.
An' we got yuppies, we got bikers,
An' we got , thirsty hitchhikers.
And the girls next door dress up like movie stars.
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I love this bar.
We got cowboys, we got truckers,
Broken hearted fools and suckers.
An' we got hustlers, we got fighters,
Early birds and all nighters.
And the veterans talk about their battle scars:
Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm, I love this bar.

Ahhhhh, yes . . . An unforgettable night at the Sand Bar in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia with Trump and Toby.

5/20/2017 7:12 am  #4

And, don't forget "No Women Allowed".  Should be a real swingin' time.  Can't wait for the tweet fest coming from this hoe down.

5/20/2017 7:32 am  #5

Yeah . . . This fits with the Wahabbi lifestyle:

https://youtu.be/-Fulz4ytZ54

I'll say the yuppie character is representative of Trump.

5/20/2017 9:02 am  #6

Ha!  Good one, rongone.

5/20/2017 10:47 am  #7

My wife and I are in a state of euphoria today.

With Trump in Saudi Arabia to start off his important whirlwind tour of the world, both of us watched some of the news feeds was reminiscent of the two times we lived and worked in the kingdom. The inane remarks by most of the Fox 'newscasters' were laughable and demonstrated complete ignorance of Saudi culture. They would probably embarrass themselves at mealtime by eating with their left hand.

Then the split screen showed VP Mike Pence at Grove City College delivering the commencement address to the class of 2017. GCC is where we met and both completed our undergraduate studies.

The pres and veep taking us for a stroll down memory lane. Too bad the reality of the situation is the ineptitude of their administration.

5/20/2017 2:27 pm  #8

Rongone wrote:

My wife and I are in a state of euphoria today.

With Trump in Saudi Arabia to start off his important whirlwind tour of the world, both of us watched some of the news feeds was reminiscent of the two times we lived and worked in the kingdom. The inane remarks by most of the Fox 'newscasters' were laughable and demonstrated complete ignorance of Saudi culture. They would probably embarrass themselves at mealtime by eating with their left hand.

Then the split screen showed VP Mike Pence at Grove City College delivering the commencement address to the class of 2017. GCC is where we met and both completed our undergraduate studies.

The pres and veep taking us for a stroll down memory lane. Too bad the reality of the situation is the ineptitude of their administration.

Looks like they had a high old time (actually the Americans always look rather confused by the traditional sword dance. Kind of like a fish out of water.) 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera