The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2017 11:23 am  #1

Krauthammer Predicts Single-Payer Health Care in Less Than 7 Years

Krauthammer Predicts Single-Payer Health Care in Less Than 7 Years

House Republicans on Thursday narrowly passed legislation aimed at repealing and replacing ObamaCare.

The revised version of the American Health Care Act, which passed on a 217-213 vote, is widely seen as a victory for President Trump and Republican leaders, who have long promised to dismantle former President Obama's signature health care law.

On "Special Report" tonight, Charles Krauthammer said Trump and Republican leaders may be celebrating the bill getting passed, but he believes the U.S. is now headed for a single-payer health care system.

Krauthammer said ObamaCare "failed at every level," but it did change Americans' expectations regarding health care.

"I would predict that in less than seven years, we'll be in a single-payer system," Krauthammer said, pointing out that Republicans aren't even arguing for a free market system anymore.

"They have sort of accepted the fact that the electorate sees health care as not just any commodity, like purchasing a steak or a car," Krauthammer explained. "It's something now people have a sense the government ought to guarantee."

He explained that there are only two options for the future of health care in the U.S. - a radically, individualist system where the market rules or single-payer - and the country is not going to ever go back to the former.

"The terms of debate are entirely on the grounds of the liberal argument that everybody ought to have it," Krauthammer said. "Once that happens, you're going to end up with a single-payer system."

Later Thursday, in an appearance with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, President Trump praised the country's universal, single-payer health care system.

"I shouldn’t say this to our great gentlemen and my friend from Australia because you have better health care than we do, but we will have great health care very soon," he said.

The remark prompted immediate mockery from Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who "thanked" Trump for seemingly agreeing with his long-held belief that the U.S. should have a "Medicare for all" system. 

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/05/04/krauthammer-health-care-bill-passing-house-future-obamacare-single-payer

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/05/2017 11:27 am  #2

Re: Krauthammer Predicts Single-Payer Health Care in Less Than 7 Years

"They have sort of accepted the fact that the electorate sees health care as not just any commodity, like purchasing a steak or a car," Krauthammer explained. "It's something now people have a sense the government ought to guarantee."

I agree with Krauthammer on this. The nation seems to have turned a corner. Even my Trumpiest relatives think that health care is a fundamental good thing, and that the government had better find a way for them to have it.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera