The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2015 10:28 am  #1

Recruiting Tool for Terrorists

BEIRUT (Reuters) - The death toll from an air strike by U.S.-led forces on the northern Syrian province of Aleppo has risen to 52 including seven children, a group monitoring the conflict said on Saturday.

Rami Abdulrahman, who runs the British-based Observatory for Human Rights, said the death toll from Friday's strike was the highest civilian loss in a single attack by U.S. and Arab forces since they started air raids against hardline Islamist militant groups in Syria such as Islamic State.

U.S.-led forces are also targeting the group in Iraq.The Britain-based Observatory said the raid had mistakenly struck civilians in a village on the eastern banks of the Euphrates River in Aleppo province, killing members of at least six families.

I know the wars in the Middle East have taken a backseat to presidential campaigns and riots/protests in the USA lately, but once in awhile I check in on what's happening in the Middle East.  Things like this seem to happen all too often and I can't help wonder as we whack terrorists throughout the region if we aren't just creating more as ISIS certainly uses incidents like this as a recruiting tool.

Last edited by Just Fred (5/02/2015 10:29 am)

5/02/2015 4:02 pm  #2

Re: Recruiting Tool for Terrorists

I would really like to understand how doing the same thing over and over again is likely to produce a different result.

Am I not seeing this as it is?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/02/2015 5:28 pm  #3

I would really like to understand how doing the same thing over and over again is likely to produce a different result.  -  CT

Beats me, too, CT.  I guess the people involved are banking on us having a short memory.

5/02/2015 8:55 pm  #4

A fair question to ask: are we creating enemies faster than we can kill them?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/02/2015 9:30 pm  #5

Goose wrote:

A fair question to ask: are we creating enemies faster than we can kill them?

In my opinion, yes!

We blow up a bad guy, along with a few innocent bystanders.  We see one less bad guy and a few stastics.

They see a maimed or killed husband, or wife, or child.  

Do they hate us?

They do now.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/03/2015 9:25 am  #6

When you have little understanding of the culture, religion, country, or the people you have decided to enter into a conflict with, it makes it difficult to distinguish between average citizen and terrorist. Especially when the terrorists tend to live among the rest of the citizenry. Dropping bombs, employing drones capable of lethal force, or injecting ground troops into conflicted areas does little to inject discretion into who gets killed or maimed.

From my perspective and experience, understanding is normally eliminated from warfare. Lack of understanding tends to escalate the combative nature of warfare and create more enemies than friends.

Heck, just reading some of the recent verbal venom spewed on this exchange among certain members highlights how quickly lack of understanding leads to personal, vindictive, verbal combat. And nobody, to my knowledge, has been killed over this . . . Yet.

Board footera