The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2017 7:47 pm  #1

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke Brings Back Lead Ammo

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke Brings Back Lead Ammo In Parks And Refuges

Lead poisoning from ammunition and tackle kills up to 20 million birds and animals a year, environmentalists say.

As the internet freaked out over Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke riding a horse to his first day on the new job Thursday, environmental activists expressed outrage over one of his first actions: overturning a federal ban on hunting with lead ammunition in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Zinke signed Secretarial Order 3346, which repeals a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service directive the Obama administration issued the day before President Donald Trump took office barring the use of lead ammunition and fishing tackle in national parks and wildlife refuges. Zinke also signed an order to expand hunting, fishing and recreation access on federal lands.

“Outdoor recreation is about both our heritage and our economy,” Zinke said in a statement. “This package of secretarial orders will expand access for outdoor enthusiasts and also make sure the community’s voice is heard.”

The former Montana congressman said his new orders will allow people outside of the “land-owning elite” to participate in outdoor recreation on public lands. Pro-gun groups like the National Rifle Association claim lead-free bullets are more expensive and harder to obtain than their toxic counterparts.

But the Obama administration’s ban on lead ammunition was meant to protect wildlife from lead poisoning. As many as 20 million birds and other animals die of lead poisoning each year as a result of the nearly 100,000 tons of lead that hunters, fishers and other sportsmen use, according to the Center for Biological Diversity. 

“There’s no good reason to be using toxic ammunition lead,” Jonathan Evans, CBD’s environmental health legal director, told The Huffington Post. “There are a range of substitutes on the market today.”

A 2012 study from the University of Guelph found the retail price for most calibers of lead bullets was comparable to their non-toxic counterparts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/interior-secretary-ryan-zinke-lead-ammunition_us_58b881d9e4b02a4e8ddb710f?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/05/2017 11:09 am  #2

Re: Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke Brings Back Lead Ammo

What legal basis, or enforcement authorization, or funding allowance does a 'secretarial order' have anyhow?

And, I always get a kick out of the dozen or so bozos standing behind the desk of the signer -- smilin' and laughin' man, like they were on the cover of the Rolling Stone. Don't they have anything better to do?

3/05/2017 11:44 am  #3

Rongone wrote:

What legal basis, or enforcement authorization, or funding allowance does a 'secretarial order' have anyhow?

And, I always get a kick out of the dozen or so bozos standing behind the desk of the signer -- smilin' and laughin' man, like they were on the cover of the Rolling Stone. Don't they have anything better to do?

I guess that they are overjoyed by the re-instatement of lead rights.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/05/2017 7:10 pm  #4

Why was this a 'yuck-it-up' event?  I agree with rongone.

4/07/2017 9:15 am  #5

If Obama's order was so needed WHY did he wait until hours before he left office to try to implement this new policy? We know why............ A big thank you to Secretary Zinke!

“This was a reckless, unilateral overreach that would have devastated the sportsmen's community,” Chris Cox, executive director of the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement, thanking Zinke.

“The Obama administration failed to consult with state fish and wildlife agencies or national angling and hunting organizations in issuing this order. This was not a decision based on sound scientific evidence — it was a last second attack on traditional ammunition and our hunting heritage.”

Last edited by Common Sense (4/07/2017 9:15 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/07/2017 9:29 am  #6

Common Sense wrote:

“This was a reckless, unilateral overreach that would have devastated the sportsmen's community,
it was a last second attack on traditional ammunition and our hunting heritage.”

What malarkey.

Lead ammo, or fishing tackle is NOT some icon to tradition, or heritage. That's laughable.

Lead was a cheap, and abundant substance with a density that was viewed as ideal for the purpose. It wasn't a sacred mineral.
It was only later that the extreme toxic nature of lead was learned.

Replacing lead with other substances will NOT "devastate the sportsmen's community".
Other substances are readily available. I know this because I AM a member of the sportsmen's community.
I have been an avid fisherman my entire life, and I moved away from lead in tackle decades ago.
And guess what? I continue to enjoy the sport as much as ever. I just do it without releasing toxic substances into the water.

And Waterfowl hunters have been successful using lead-free ammunition nationwide for decades, ever since lead shot was phased out in 1991.
And, waterfowl hunting continues to thrive.

You get too caught up in the binary nature of American politics.
I swear, if they started building kindergartens out of lead, you would  be for it just because Obama, or "elitists" were against it.

Last edited by Goose (4/07/2017 10:06 am)

4/07/2017 9:37 am  #7

There was absolutely NO REASON to bring back the lead. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/07/2017 9:52 am  #8

I'd like to know how banning lead fishing tackle and ammo would 'devastate the sportsmen's community'.  Who believes this crap?

I own several fishing rods ............. maybe a few hundred dollars worth.  So I guess I'll have to give up fishing because I can't spend a couple extra bucks to buy lead-free sinkers?  What a pile of guano.

Last edited by Just Fred (4/07/2017 9:52 am)

4/07/2017 10:03 am  #9

Maybe they should have never taken lead out of gasoline.

You know, lead poisoning and polluted air are just part of our traditional air, and our breathing heritage.

You know,
they managed to take lead out of gasoline, and the auto industry thrived.
They took lead out of paint, and the housing industry was fine,,
They took lead out of the glaze for ceramics, and we still have plates,,,

We can, it seems improve health and safety in so many ways.
But, if it has anything to do with guns, you get this hysterical ranting about how it's going to devastate communities, is an attack on heritage and tradition, yada, yada, yada.

As I wrote earlier,,,,, malarkey.

Last edited by Goose (4/07/2017 10:16 am)

4/07/2017 11:23 am  #10

I can't wait to take my grandchildren fishing on the bay down at Stone Harbor, NJ. We'll fill up the boat with fishing rods, bait, something to eat & drink, plus a tackle box full to the brim and overflowing with hundreds of lead sinkers. I'm pretty sure that just because the kids are handling the lead weights and eating a sandwich won't have any detrimental affect on them. I mean, I've read reports about lead poisoning causing some health problems or even death in some cases, but I'm pretty sure a little lead in their systems won't do too much damage. At least that's what the executive director of the NRA's Institute for Legislative action says. He asserted that the order to ban lead was "not based on sound scientific evidence". And he should know . . . because of his scientific background (of which he has none, nada, zilch). So, if you just ignore the thousands of scientific studies that verify the dangers of lead based materials to the health of living things -- like young children -- you can say idiotic things like Chris Cox's statement in Common Sense's post #5.

Want to come along on our fishing trip, Common ?    We'll make sure there's plenty of lead based products that you can stick your hands, face, and whatever other body parts into.

Board footera