The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/20/2017 8:02 am  #1

Speaking of Jefferson

"Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them."

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/20/2017 9:44 am  #2

Re: Speaking of Jefferson

Goose wrote:

"Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers & be capable of reading them."

"The press is impotent when it abandons itself to falsehood."
--Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Seymour, 1807.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/20/2017 9:49 am  #3

Common Sense wrote:

Goose wrote:

"The press is impotent when it abandons itself to falsehood."
--Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Seymour, 1807.

I wonder what happens when a President Abandons himself to false hood.
Shall I list the lies?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/20/2017 9:53 am  #4

It is however an evil for which there is no remedy. Our liberty depends on the freedom of the press, and that cannot be limited without being lost.

Board footera