The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/15/2017 6:12 am  #1

Words Mean Things

"Here's a clue, IMO Trump likes to exaggerate. So when he says there were millions of illegals voting or crime is up the highest in 47 years, we know he's exaggerating and don't take it literal. You might call that lying, but we know a lie from exaggeration"
Tim15856

All due respect, Tim, but I don't think you do.

"The murder rate in our country is the highest it's been in 47 years,
 I'd say that in a speech and everybody was surprised,
Because the press doesn't tell it like it is, 'It wasn't to their advantage to say that."

Donald Trump

The murder rate was 10.2 per 100,000 in 1980, according to the Washington Post.
In 2015 the rate was 4.9.

Tim, if Donald Trump claimed that the murder rate was at a 47 year high, and it was really "only" a 35 year high, that would be an exaggeration.
But when you are claiming that the murder rate is at a 47 year high (To justify policies, and smear the press), and the rate is actually half what it was in 1980, that is a lie.

Last edited by Goose (2/15/2017 6:24 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/15/2017 8:23 am  #2

Re: Words Mean Things

We live in a world of alt-speak from both the President as well as his supporters. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/15/2017 6:38 pm  #3

Yea, I'm sure that this guy, when he hears about millions of illegals voting for Hillary, knows that it's just an exaggeration,,,, a clever metaphor for improving  voter registration processes. 

Shrewd, Tim.

Last edited by Goose (2/15/2017 6:39 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/17/2017 11:06 am  #4

Yesterday the President said that he won the largest electoral college victory since Reagan.

Well, Tim,,,,,
Was that an exaggeration or a lie?

2/19/2017 7:37 pm  #5

I guess that I will wait in vain

Board footera