The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2015 12:12 pm  #1

Something will be done.

After reading this, you would think something is going to change soon in PA.

Similar plans, by opposing "teams".

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/popular/ci_27907391?source=most_viewed

4/14/2015 2:56 pm  #2

Re: Something will be done.

This is a little better than Wolf's plan, only because it doesn't expand the sales tax to currently exempt items and services, and the 'relief' is higher.  But, EVERY SCHOOL DISTRICT should get the same percentage of relief, not 'this district gets 60% relief, that district gets 40% relief'.  No thanks.  Also, there needs to be a provision that bans school districts from jacking up property taxes to current levels within a few years, that's the BIG sticking point with me, and it's what makes any property tax relief scheme complete bullshit.

Last edited by The Man (4/14/2015 2:56 pm)

4/14/2015 3:50 pm  #3

Until legislators tackle the issue of pension reform, the constant increase in taxes (property, sales, extraction fees, or whatever) to support the ever increasing cost of public pensions related to schools will be inevitable. Unfortunately, from my perspective, the do nothing people we sent to Harrisburg have little or no interest in addressing this problem.

4/14/2015 3:55 pm  #4

Rongone wrote:

Until legislators tackle the issue of pension reform, the constant increase in taxes (property, sales, extraction fees, or whatever) to support the ever increasing cost of public pensions related to schools will be inevitable. Unfortunately, from my perspective, the do nothing people we sent to Harrisburg have little or no interest in addressing this problem.

Absolutely.  I had outside hopes that Wolf would make pension reform a priority, but I am disappointed.  I guess unions contributed too much to his campaign for him to do that?

And no, I'm not just blaming Wolf.  None of his predecessors did a damn thing about pension reform either.  It's just that he is new, and I thought maybe, just possibly he could be different.  I was wrong.  Business as usual.

4/14/2015 8:09 pm  #5

If property taxes were eliminated in Pa, would Pa be the first state to NOT have any property taxes ?  Some cursory reading seems to make this a strong possibility. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/15/2015 6:35 am  #6

If property taxes were eliminated in Pa, would Pa be the first state to NOT have any property taxes ?
Some cursory reading seems to make this a strong possibility. 
- Tenny

I think you may be right about that.  I can only offer my own experience as an anecdotal example:

I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath mobile home in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  I pay property tax, but it amounts to about $350/year, which, for me, is almost nothing.  I might also add that Delaware has no sales tax.  I have no idea how they do it.  I do know they have some kind of income tax, but I have no idea what that might be because I don't work there.

Last edited by Just Fred (4/15/2015 9:28 am)

4/21/2015 10:57 am  #7

The Man wrote:

But, EVERY SCHOOL DISTRICT should get the same percentage of relief, not 'this district gets 60% relief, that district gets 40% relief'. No thanks.

Yeah, that's what I say about having different areas of the county paying different rates. I believe if you live in a higher tax area, you should get a bigger cut of the relief. Right now, this district pays this amount and that district pays that amount. Why should a lower tax area get the same relief as a high tax area ? 

4/21/2015 3:06 pm  #8

All areas have taxes, whether it's called real estate tax, property tax or school tax or all three.  It's how schools and services get paid for.  Pennsylvania's archaic system of multiple districts in each county with each one setting its own tax rates is so bizarre any more all I can do is laugh about it.  I'm beginning to think it will take a few more generations and long after I'm dead for the legislature to figure it out and correct the system.  One school district, one tax--call it whatever you wish but it--pays for the schools and all other services in each county,  One tax that everybody pays regardless where within the county one lives and offer a reduced tax only for homeowners over the verified age of, say, 65 and/or disabled. Why is this so difficult for Pennsylvanians to understand?

4/22/2015 3:27 pm  #9

TraderJay wrote:

The Man wrote:

But, EVERY SCHOOL DISTRICT should get the same percentage of relief, not 'this district gets 60% relief, that district gets 40% relief'. No thanks.

Yeah, that's what I say about having different areas of the county paying different rates. I believe if you live in a higher tax area, you should get a bigger cut of the relief. Right now, this district pays this amount and that district pays that amount. Why should a lower tax area get the same relief as a high tax area ? 

If it is a state-wide property tax reduction, the PERCENTAGE of the reduction should be identical for everyone.  Higher tax districts would still see a higher dollar amount reduction than lower tax districts.

If a district wants to reduce its property taxes even more, then that should be up to the district to do that, but from the state, everyone should get the same percentage reduction, yes.

4/22/2015 4:28 pm  #10

The Man wrote:

TraderJay wrote:

The Man wrote:

If it is a state-wide property tax reduction, the PERCENTAGE of the reduction should be identical for everyone. Higher tax districts would still see a higher dollar amount reduction than lower tax districts.

If a district wants to reduce its property taxes even more, then that should be up to the district to do that, but from the state, everyone should get the same percentage reduction, yes.

I guess I won't be happy until:
#1 total elimination of school taxes
-OR-
#2 every single homeowner in each county pays the same tax rate (millage)

Board footera