The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2016 8:22 pm  #1

S Africa Wade Van Niekerk wins 400M in world record

And ...he is trained by a GREAT GRANDMOTHER: South Africa 400m sprinter Wayde van Niekerk and his inspirational coach, 74, who takes 'no nonsense'

Very Cool ! 

Great job by BOTH of them ! 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2016/08/15/wayde-van-niekerk-wins-mens-400-metres-in-world-record-4303-to-c/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3740238/One-fastest-men-earth-trained-GREAT-GRANDMOTHER-South-Africa-400m-sprinter-Wayde-van-Niekerk-inspirational-coach-74-takes-no-nonsense.html

Last edited by tennyson (8/14/2016 8:22 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/15/2016 6:51 am  #2

Re: S Africa Wade Van Niekerk wins 400M in world record

Watched this last night. This was another nice story coming out of this Olympics. I liked seeing Usain Bolt's reaction to watching Van Niekerk's record setting run and seeing Bolt seek him out after his 100 victory to congratulate him.

One thing that I'm getting tired of relating to this Olympics is broadcasters and commentators using words like 'crushed their opponents', 'totally dominated', 'obliterated the competition', 'duel in the pool', 'slaughter in the water', and other such terms. I don't think this type of language has any place in the Olympics . . . Maybe it's OK for MMA matches. To me, it reflects more on the ignorance of the commentators than their knowledge of the sport. Those making these comments, most likely, have spent their lives as spectators rather than competitors. I guess it's typical of the media today whether it's reporting news, weather, or sports. They tend to accentuate terms to stoke emotional reactions rather than just watching and reporting what's going on.

8/15/2016 7:18 am  #3

Re: S Africa Wade Van Niekerk wins 400M in world record

I saw the race, too.  The first athlete to win the 400 in lane 8.  Great performance to not only win the race, but breaking the world record to boot!  For me, the 400 is maybe the most exciting of all the track and field events.

Board footera