The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2015 1:06 pm  #1

RIP: The School Property Tax

RIP: The School Property Tax
Read the full story here:
http://www.fandm.edu/politics/politically-uncorrected-column/rip-the-school-property-tax

RIP: The School Property TaxMarch 23, 2015G. Terry Madonna & Michael L.YoungGovernors propose and legislatures dispose.

That particular political adage could be one that Tom Wolf, the Democratic governor of Pennsylvania, might ponder as he begins the likely lengthy process of steering his budget and tax proposals through the state’s Republican dominated legislature.

Wolf’s budget proposes major tax restructuring designed to reduce Pennsylvania’s property tax burden by 50 percent on the average taxpayer.  But if 50 percent, why not 100 percent-why settle for half a loaf?  Why not get rid of the property tax for school funding altogether?

It is a radical idea, an extreme idea, an unrealistic idea?

Actually, no!

Last edited by Common Sense (3/26/2015 1:06 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/26/2015 1:29 pm  #2

Re: RIP: The School Property Tax

I don't get it, either, Common.  From the article concerning the elimination of property taxes :

Many legislative Republicans would like to do so, and Wolf is certainly moving in that direction. Pennsylvanians widely favor it as well.

The Democratic governor wants to do it, the Republican controlled legislature wants to do it, and the majority of Pennsylvania want them to do it.  So where's the hang-up?

3/26/2015 2:06 pm  #3

You can pay me here or you can pay me there but we will get your money  ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/26/2015 4:55 pm  #4

Just Fred wrote:

I don't get it, either, Common.  From the article concerning the elimination of property taxes :

Many legislative Republicans would like to do so, and Wolf is certainly moving in that direction. Pennsylvanians widely favor it as well.

The Democratic governor wants to do it, the Republican controlled legislature wants to do it, and the majority of Pennsylvania want them to do it.  So where's the hang-up?

Maybe? Just maybe it will happen this year? But I have thought that the last 3 or 4 years. There are many special interest groups who do not want the change to take place!!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/26/2015 4:57 pm  #5

tennyson wrote:

You can pay me here or you can pay me there but we will get your money  ! 

They can take my money but not my house!

3/26/2015 5:08 pm  #6

There are many special interest groups who do not want the change to take place!!  -  Common

Like who?  And why?

Last edited by Just Fred (3/26/2015 5:08 pm)

3/26/2015 5:15 pm  #7

Geeze, you got my hopes way up when I saw "RIP"

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera