The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2015 1:48 pm  #1

Why I am a Climate Change Skeptic

Why I am a Climate Change Skeptic

http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/2015/03/20/why-i-am-climate-change-skeptic[Editor’s Note: Patrick Moore, Ph.D., has been a leader in international environmentalism for more than 40 years. He cofounded Greenpeace and currently serves as chair of Allow Golden Rice. Moore received the 2014 Speaks Truth to Power Award at the Ninth International Conference on Climate Change, July 8, in Las Vegas. Watch his presentation about this piece at the video player to the left.]I am skeptical humans are the main cause of climate change and that it will be catastrophic in the near future. There is no scientific proof of this hypothesis, yet we are told “the debate is over” and “the science is settled.”My skepticism begins with the believers’ certainty they can predict the global climate with a computer model. The entire basis for the doomsday climate change scenario is the hypothesis increased atmospheric carbon dioxide due to fossil fuel emissions will heat the Earth to unlivable temperatures.

Mediamatters is really trying to smear/destroy Dr. Moore so you know they are
extremely concerned about him. You have to wonder if congress will investigate him?
Let the witch hunt start!!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/21/2015 1:55 pm  #2

Re: Why I am a Climate Change Skeptic

Eppur Si Muove

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/21/2015 3:27 pm  #3

Whether Moore is correct or not remains obviously to be seen. This man is not an expert on climate. His got his Ph.D in ecology way back in the 60s. That does not necessarily make him wrong, but one has to question his ability outside of his own pervue. 

Looking at some of his assertions, he is not necessarily claiming that things like the glaciers melting are NOT happening, but rather that man may not be the cause. The end game, however, is going to be very bad for millions living in coastal plains IF we continue down the same path. 

The consequences of warming ARE important enough that we try to understand what is causing it and if there is anything we can do about it. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/21/2015 4:54 pm  #4

Ok, a quick google search presents another view of this guy:

While it is true that Patrick Moore was a member of Greenpeace in the 1970s, in 1986 he abruptly turned his back on the very issues he once passionately defended. He claims he "saw the light" but what Moore really saw was an opportunity for financial gain.

Since then he has gone from defender of the planet to a paid representative of corporate polluters.Patrick Moore promotes such anti-environmental positions as clearcut logging, nuclear power, farmed salmon, PVC (vinyl) production, genetically engineered crops, and mining.

Clients for his consulting services are a veritable Who's Who of companies that Greenpeace has exposed for environmental misdeeds, including Monsanto, Weyerhaeuser, and BHP Minerals.Moore's claims run from the exaggerated to the outrageous to the downright false, including that "clear-cutting is good for forests" and Three Mile Island was actually "a success story" because the radiation from the partially melted core was contained. That is akin to saying "my car crash was a success because I only cracked my skull and didn't die."

By exploiting his former ties to Greenpeace, Moore portrays himself as a prodigal son who has seen the error of his ways. Unfortunately, the media - especially conservative media - give him a platform for his views, and often do so without mentioning the fact that he is a paid spokesperson for polluting companies.The following provides a brief overview of Patrick Moore's positions and his history of working for corporate polluters.

Last edited by Just Fred (3/21/2015 4:57 pm)

3/21/2015 5:21 pm  #5

O.k., I just can't resist.

Seriously, can someone tell me why we are not listening to over 90% of scientists? Why would we place our bet with the side where less than 10% agree? 

As some have said, there is no planet B.

Last edited by BYOB (3/21/2015 5:22 pm)

3/21/2015 5:31 pm  #6

Fred,

Do you mind sharing where you found that information?  I think we need to know who is saying that about Mr. Moore in order to understand where they are coming from.

Last edited by Brady Bunch (3/21/2015 5:31 pm)

3/21/2015 5:48 pm  #7

Why?
The deniers have been completely discredited.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/21/2015 5:55 pm  #8

Goose wrote:

Why?
The deniers have been completely discredited.

I presume this in response to my question to Fred.  I think it is completely fair to know who is saying that, so we can evaluate where there they are coming from and what motives they might have.

Maybe it is a completely reliable source, or maybe it is someone who as an agenda themselves.  We won't know until we know who the source is.

That is why.

Last edited by Brady Bunch (3/21/2015 5:55 pm)

3/21/2015 6:01 pm  #9

Well, if you need to remain at step #1 endlessly debating whether what exists actually exists, that is your decision.

3/21/2015 6:11 pm  #10

Do you really need to be so condescending?  There really is no need for that

All I did was ask Fred for the source of his information that was discrediting the skeptic.  I made no comment on what my thoughts were on the subject and my personal position.

Common presents an article, and Fred then responds by posting information trying to discredit Mr. Moore.  I don't think it is much to know who is trying to discredit him and what motives they may have.  It is good to know what motives Mr. Moore might have, but shouldn't we know what possible motives someone would have for trying to discredit him?

Last edited by Brady Bunch (3/21/2015 6:11 pm)

Board footera