The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2015 11:21 am  #1

Amazing sculptures

There are so many amazing sculptures out there! Some of the techniques are simply astounding that the sculptor can coax such things out of stone. A few of my favorites.......

This is Undine Rising From the Waters by Chauncey Bradley Ives (modeled 1880-1882). The ability to depict wet, clingy drapery to the human form out of stone is spectacular.

This one depicts the abduction of Persephone by Hades. It is by Gian Lorenzo Bernini (sculpted between 1621 and 1622, when Bernini was only 23 years old!) The finger pressure on the skin is remarkable!

3/20/2015 11:52 am  #2

Re: Amazing sculptures

I have a bronze sculpture of this one in my home. It's called Descending Night by Adolph Alexander Weinman. It was sculpted first for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition in 1915.

=The winged figure is a personification of the waning hours of daylight, as the low-relief crescent moon and stars on the integral base indicate. Her hands hold her hair away from her face, revealing her downcast, withdrawn countenance representing nature's mood. A guidebook to the Panama-Pacific Exposition elaborates: "The muscles are all lax—the head is drooping, the arms are closing in around the face, the wings are folding, the knees are bending—and she too will soon sink to slumber with the world in her arms."  - The MMofA

Last edited by BYOB (3/20/2015 11:56 am)

Board footera