The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2015 10:06 am  #1

Governor Wolf’s school property tax proposal

Senaor David Argall (prime sponsor of SB 76) response to Governor Tom Wolf's fraudulent property tax "relief" proposal

HARRISBURG – Senator David G. Argall (R-Schuylkill/Berks) released the following statement regarding Governor Wolf’s school property tax proposal:“Eighty-four grassroots taxpayer groups across the state have rallied behind a proposal they designed to eliminate school property taxes by shifting to increases in the income and sales taxes. The growing call to eliminate school property taxes crosses traditional political boundaries and covers every corner of Pennsylvania.“Today, the governor proposed a =14pxpermanent increase of sales and income taxes for a =14pxtemporary reduction in school property taxes. In a few years, those property taxes will grow and taxpayers will be left with higher income taxes, higher sales taxes and again, high school property taxes. Needless to say, today’s budget proposal is not a long-term solution for the taxpayers, instead, it is a long-term solution to grow taxes, with no limits on spending.“I don’t believe that the governor’s plan – by far, the largest tax increase ever proposed in state history – is a realistic solution. Instead, we have to address major cost-drivers in state government and completely eliminate the unfair, 1834-model school property tax. Elimination is the key – not some ‘bait and switch’ scheme.” David Baldinger, Spokesperson of the Pennsylvania Coalition of Taxpayer Associations, including 84 grassroots groups across the state, added:“Governor Wolf’s property tax relief plan is simply more smoke and mirrors that, in the end, accomplishes nothing. As long as school property taxes are allowed to increase unchecked there is NO ‘relief’ plan that will work. Replacement funding sources like the sales and income tax increase at one-third the rate of increase of the school property taxes; you might see a few years of help but, in the end, the property tax will go right back to where it was before but with the new replacement taxes to pay. This is not a solution to the property tax crisis.”

http://www.senatorargall.com/2015/03/03/argall-beware-the-governors-bait-and-switch-property-tax-plan/

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/04/2015 10:18 am  #2

Re: Governor Wolf’s school property tax proposal

Well SB76 was never going anywhere, even when Corbett was governor.

So my suggestion to Senator Argall is to get to the table and work something out with Gov. Wolf. Otherwise, the status quo is going to remain in place.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/04/2015 10:55 am  #3

TheLagerLad wrote:

Well SB76 was never going anywhere, even when Corbett was governor.

So my suggestion to Senator Argall is to get to the table and work something out with Gov. Wolf. Otherwise, the status quo is going to remain in place.

Agree. 

There seems to be enough support on both sides for looking at a workable method of reducing the pain of property taxes that some reasonable alternative could be woked out. There are ways even if we retain school district autonomy in terms of budgeting higher or lower than other districts that something could be worked out to still scrap the property tax. The bottom line is that SOMEONE is still going to pay. The question is what is the most equitable way to accomplish the funding. 

But, if (as usual) the politics trumps a real solution, then we will see what has taken place over the years .... NOTHING ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/04/2015 11:57 am  #4

The only way to fix the school property tax issue is HB76. Wolf's plan won't do a thing!

:“Governor Wolf’s property tax relief plan is simply more smoke and mirrors that, in the end, accomplishes nothing. As long as school property taxes are allowed to increase unchecked there is NO ‘relief’ plan that will work. Replacement funding sources like the sales and income tax increase at one-third the rate of increase of the school property taxes; you might see a few years of help but, in the end, the property tax will go right back to where it was before but with the new replacement taxes to pay. This is not a solution to the property tax crisis.”

I am not blaming Wolf for this........ The Republicans have failed for years to fix it!!!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/04/2015 12:04 pm  #5

Common Sense wrote:

The only way to fix the school property tax issue is HB76. Wolf's plan won't do a thing!

:“Governor Wolf’s property tax relief plan is simply more smoke and mirrors that, in the end, accomplishes nothing. As long as school property taxes are allowed to increase unchecked there is NO ‘relief’ plan that will work. Replacement funding sources like the sales and income tax increase at one-third the rate of increase of the school property taxes; you might see a few years of help but, in the end, the property tax will go right back to where it was before but with the new replacement taxes to pay. This is not a solution to the property tax crisis.”

I am not blaming Wolf for this........ The Republicans have failed for years to fix it!!!

I don't blame either. I DO believe there ARE other ways other than the SB76 that would work and still eliminate the property tax. No matter how you cut it though, someone still has to pay the bill. The question is what is the most equitable way to fund our childrens schooling (and possibly still preserve some autonomity in how the local district funds their particular schools). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/04/2015 12:14 pm  #6

Well if that is your position then expect the status quo to remain in place. Because SB76 couldn't even get through the legislature.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/04/2015 2:24 pm  #7

TheLagerLad wrote:

Well if that is your position then expect the status quo to remain in place. Because SB76 couldn't even get through the legislature.

I hope each year that maybe somehow we will see action taken to actually fix this massive problem but each year the result is the same. No movement. You hear the same spin from the different sides.  Seems there are way too many special interest groups who want the status quo to remain. It's the money thing. The people who want it to stay have the money!!

3/04/2015 3:31 pm  #8

Common Sense wrote:

TheLagerLad wrote:

I hope each year that maybe somehow we will see action taken to actually fix this massive problem but each year the result is the same. No movement. You hear the same spin from the different sides.  Seems there are way too many special interest groups who want the status quo to remain. It's the money thing. The people who want it to stay have the money!!

I suppose that's one way to look at it. Another may be that a lot of other scenarios have been looked at and the current system we have in place is pretty good for the most part. 

And by the way, isn't what Wolf is proposing a twist on SB76. He's proposing a reduction in the property tax against an increase in sales tax and adding the types of items that can be taxed.

3/04/2015 3:39 pm  #9

Yes you are absolutely correct! But I think his rates are higher and he does not remove the school property tax so the first year or two you would pay a lower school property tax but then we will be right back where we are now?  There is no way what he has proposed will pass the state legislature!    
I would say the current system is terribly flawed!     

3/04/2015 3:48 pm  #10

Common Sense wrote:

Yes you are absolutely correct! But I think his rates are higher and he does not remove the school property tax so the first year or two you would pay a lower school property tax but then we will be right back where we are now?  There is no way what he has proposed will pass the state legislature!    
I would say the current system is terribly flawed!     

Well I disagree. I know the system can be tough on seniors, but I think they benefit greatly from good school districts because good school districts attract good families. Good families mean less crime, safer neighborhoods, more prosperous neighborhoods which keeps home values up. Add to that the various rebates and discounts seniors get from the property tax and I'll say the property tax system isn't perfect, but it ain't all that bad either.

Now 25 years from now when I'm retired, hopefully own my home and am living on a fixed income, maybe I'll complain. But for now I'm ok with it.

Board footera