The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2016 9:13 am  #1

Sen. Wagner loans to Charter School

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/18/wagner-loan-update/78967878/

A public servant loaning money to a for profit school. Is it just me or do (R) politicians want to undermine all public expenditures? It seems that whether you talking about charter schools or water sources containing lead (Flint) the (R) brand will do anything that seems to go against the common good.  

1/20/2016 9:22 am  #2

Re: Sen. Wagner loans to Charter School

TraderJay wrote:

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/18/wagner-loan-update/78967878/

A public servant loaning money to a for profit school. Is it just me or do (R) politicians want to undermine all public expenditures? It seems that whether you talking about charter schools or water sources containing lead (Flint) the (R) brand will do anything that seems to go against the common good.  

Well at minimum it cost Wagner effectively nothing (unless he is the responsible party and they default) but garnered him a great deal of free political advertising. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/20/2016 11:26 am  #3

It goes against the common good to give the school money to stay afloat because they haven't received their state funding?

You are right, it would have been much better for teachers and staff to go unpaid and risk the possibility of closing the school down and sending those 530 kids scattering during the middle of the year to a new school, all because of something out of their control.

Maybe if the (D) governor had just line-item vetoed the budget back in June like all previous governors have done for the past 40 years, the school wouldn't have needed to borrow money.

1/20/2016 11:28 am  #4

Brady Bunch wrote:

It goes against the common good to give the school money to stay afloat because they haven't received their state funding?

You are right, it would have been much better for teachers and staff to go unpaid and risk the possibility of closing the school down and sending those 530 kids scattering during the middle of the year to a new school, all because of something out of their control.

Maybe if the (D) governor had just line-item vetoed the budget back in June like all previous governors have done for the past 40 years, the school wouldn't have needed to borrow money.

No, it does NOT go against the common good. 

But at minimal cost (if any) it was a huge political ad for Wagner was it not ? 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/20/2016 11:35 am  #5

It absolutely was a huge political ad for Wagner, it cost him very little to make himself look like a hero and Wolf like he was holding school kids hostage during the budget impasse.

I am no fan of Wagner, and I am sure the main reason he did this was political, but it still was crucial for that school, those teachers and the kids involved.

1/20/2016 4:09 pm  #6

OK, maybe common good wasn't the best description I could have used. It is well known fact that (R) are more than willing to undermine (is that better?) public schools so charters (for profit) can flourish. 

Don't you think it is odd that a public servant (not representing the city) will put up personal money to help a for profit city school ? 

1/20/2016 4:45 pm  #7

TraderJay wrote:

OK, maybe common good wasn't the best description I could have used. It is well known fact that (R) are more than willing to undermine (is that better?) public schools so charters (for profit) can flourish. 

Don't you think it is odd that a public servant (not representing the city) will put up personal money to help a for profit city school ? 

I guess my best answer to that is when it comes to political posturing I don't consider anything odd but rather predictable. 

Last edited by tennyson (1/20/2016 4:45 pm)

1/20/2016 5:00 pm  #8

TraderJay wrote:

Actually, he does represent the city.  York City lies within the 28th Senate district, so they are his constituents.

I am not sure how him giving a loan for the charter school to stay open undermines public schools.

1/21/2016 9:30 am  #9

Regardless of Wagner's financial bailout of the school, the fact remains that this particular charter school has been called out for below acceptable levels of academic performance, lax record keeping, and financial distress in formal audits.

http://www.paauditor.gov/Media/Default/Reports/sch73360HelenThackstonCharterSchool061015.pdf

One has to wonder whether Wagner's actions are based on purely altruistic notions, or some other strategic purpose.

1/21/2016 12:13 pm  #10

My mistake on the representation area. 
It comes down to the fact that I'm pretty darn sure he would never give William Penn the same treatment. 

Board footera