The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2016 4:05 pm  #1

Sen. Wagner loans more to Thackston Charter

Sen. Wagner loans more to Thackston Charter

[url=http://Sen. Wagner loans more to Thackston Charter]http://Sen.[/url]

The Spring Garden Township Republican's loans to York's Thackston Charter School will have grown to nearly $890,000 on Wednesday. State Sen. Scott Wagner's loans to York's Helen Thackston Charter School will reach a little more than $889,000 on Wednesday, he said Monday.The Spring Garden Township Republican first floated a $400,000 loan to the school in late October to meet missed payroll and to cover basic operating and insurance expenses.

The school has not received any state funding since late June, said Helen Thackston Charter School Board President Danyiell Newman, who confirmed the total loan amount.Newman said she hopes to begin receiving state funding later this week as part of the second round of state payouts now that part of a state budget is in place.But Wagner said that the school might not see funding until Jan. 28.Charter schools typically receive per-student tuition from the school districts where students live. But if issues arise, they can ask to receive payments directly from the state, which then withholds the money from the school district's subsidy.York's Thackston and Lincoln charter schools have, for years, requested their payments directly from the state instead of the York City School District, where most of their students live.

On Wednesday, Wagner will make a $169,869.73 loan to the school, for an actual total of $889,264.43.This isn't cash he just has "sitting around," he said, but a personal line of credit that he is serving as a pass-through since the school's lack of state funding has made it harder for it to secure a loan.Wagner's loans serve to make up the payroll and other budgetary differences, Newman said."Money left over from each loan," is part of the funding, Newman explained in a text message. "We also received a refund check for services we were overbilled for."Without this loan, Wagner said the "530 students in this school who would be dumped on the streets" since cash isn't flowing yet.

Last edited by Common Sense (1/18/2016 4:06 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/18/2016 8:32 pm  #2

Re: Sen. Wagner loans more to Thackston Charter

I like Scott Wagner, I think he does his job well in representing us who elected him, and I like this move.  I wish more wealthy politicians who call for increased education spending would give or loan their money to school districts.  Tom Wolf really should have taken the lead on this.

1/19/2016 7:23 am  #3

Yes, where are the loans from the Wolf Foundation to York County non-profits starved by the budget non-process?

Life is an Orthros.

1/19/2016 4:16 pm  #4

There are not many who would loan a school $900,000 to cover their operating cost until the state budget issue is solved. Kudos to Senator Wagner!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/19/2016 4:53 pm  #5

Just a question, why did not the other Charter schools require the same thing. 

I am reminded in a previous audit of the York Charters that Thackston was highlighted for poor fiscal management. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/19/2016 4:59 pm  #6

tennyson wrote:

I am reminded in a previous audit of the York Charters that Thackston was highlighted for poor fiscal management. 

What does this have to do with Wagner loaning money to the charter?
The current issue has nothing to do with poor fiscal management. There is no state budget so they have not received their state funds for months........... with out the money from Wagner the school would be closed or close to closing.

1/19/2016 5:17 pm  #7

Common Sense wrote:

tennyson wrote:

What does this have to do with Wagner loaning money to the charter?
The current issue has nothing to do with poor fiscal management. There is no state budget so they have not received their state funds for months........... with out the money from Wagner the school would be closed or close to closing.

I was merely wondering why the other Charters did not face the same dire situation ? 

Anyone know the answer to this ? 

Or did they, and found alternative resources ? 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/19/2016 5:22 pm  #8

tennyson wrote:

Do you know the other charter school didn't get any help from anyone?  I haven't seen anything mentioned about Lincoln Charter School, so I don't know if someone helped them or if they even needed it.

This is where our local "reporting" is horrible.  Shouldn't the "journalist" have asked this question to themselves and then reached out to Lincoln Charter to see how they are managing?  It is a valid question.  Instead they just print the story and don't do any investigating or questioning

1/19/2016 5:22 pm  #9

Yes, kudos to St. Scott for taking money out of a line of credit to keep a charter school open that was previously charged with fiscal mismanagement. I guess it was brought up at the Hershey getaway. Heck, if he and his colleagues would have just stayed in Harrisburg and negotiated in good faith to pass a reasonable budget 7 months ago, the school would have received it's warranted funding. Instead they all played partisan politics at the expense of school funding. Hallelujah and praise the almighty tax dollar and people like St. Scott.

I wonder if Charlie donut contributed anything?

1/19/2016 5:27 pm  #10

Brady Bunch wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Do you know the other charter school didn't get any help from anyone?  I haven't seen anything mentioned about Lincoln Charter School, so I don't know if someone helped them or if they even needed it.

This is where our local "reporting" is horrible.  Shouldn't the "journalist" have asked this question to themselves and then reached out to Lincoln Charter to see how they are managing?  It is a valid question.  Instead they just print the story and don't do any investigating or questioning

No, I don't know and that is why I asked the question. 

Maybe we will find out in time if they also had to find substantial sums. It would seem to follow. 

Board footera